For a deeper experience of couple prayer and you may like to try the Trinity Prayer. This simple format:
- incorporates worship of God the Father with affirmation of your spouse,
- promotes reconciliation and unity through the confession to Jesus of your limitations and failure to love,
- empowers you with graces from the Holy Spirit to help you become more loving in your marriage.
The Trinity Prayer is a great way to bring your day to closure, ensuring that you keep your unity intact and your love vibrant.
- To the Father: Prayers of praise and thanks for the blessing of your spouse. Give thanks for all that is good in your spouse.
- To Jesus: Prayers of sorrow for the times you failed to love your spouse as fully as you should. Ask forgiveness of Jesus.
- To the Holy Spirit: Prayers for the specific graces you need to grow closer at this particular time (e.g. passion, wisdom, humility, compassion, restraint, ambition, enthusiasm etc.).
Close with the ‘Glory Be’: Glory be to the Father, to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be, world without end, Amen.
You can use this format for prayers on your own, with your spouse or with your children.