“Absolutely revealing and incredibly real.”
– Lorenzo & Julita | Engaged Graduates
Engaged Online gives you the tools to make your marriage the best it can be.
WHO’S IT FOR?
MEET A SPONSOR
Ready to Register?
Enroll now and get instant access
Only 1 registration is required per couple
Every registration includes a gift coupon for a sponsor couple
~ $80 USD* | ~ £57 GBP*
*Prices are indicative and subject to exchange rate variations
Get the lowdown on how to navigate the course:
- Order or download the PDF to print your workbooks
- Get tips for getting the most out of it
- Complete your Registration form
This session introduces the concept of Smart Loving – a practical insight designed to make your efforts to love more efficient by helping you learn the specific ways in which your fiancé experiences love. Learn how gratitude and affirmation can transform your life and your relationship.
Using the L.I.F.E. communication framework, you will learn how to communicate effectively and intimately with each other. A technique for accomplishing Emotional Communion (empathy) is also taught along with practical tips for everyday communication.
A detailed examination of your attitudes and beliefs about roles, work, family traditions, children, sexuality and marriage, looking particularly at your family of origin. The impact of other significant relationships is also addressed along with a strategy for processing emotional injuries.
Evaluate your priorities and examine your expectations for your future life together. Learn how to use the Stop-Reflect-Connect tool for values-based decision- making so that you can make genuine couple decisions that will always bring you closer.
Examine the dynamics that lead to conflict and learn how to avoid it. Unpack your conflict patterns and learn strategies for healing your relationship after an argument or hurt. Learn how to restore your unity with the Stop-LIFE- Reflect-Connect – a powerful process of reconciliation.
Discover how marital sex is an intimate communication rather than just a recreational activity; a powerful resource for healing, reconciliation and the rejuvenation. The theology of sex as a sacramental gesture and a renewal of wedding vows is explored.
Discover the wonder of human fertility and learn how to live harmoniously with your bodies in may that protects your health and honours the creator. Discuss your family goals and learn how to achieve them with modern, effective Fertility Awareness Methods.
Learn about the sacramentality of marriage and how a Catholic marriage differs from a secular one. Discuss the commitment you are making on your wedding day and prepare your wedding liturgy.
Explore your unique spirituality and unlock the power of spiritual intimacy. Learn how to pray together and what to pray for. Reflect on your learning and design your marital fitness plan to take you into marriage.
Complete your assessment and press submit to receive your certificate and course report.
Engaged Online FAQ’s
Marriage preparation is a process to help you and your fiance prepare for married life. Just like having a healthy diet helps prevent you getting sick, and recover more quickly when you do, marriage preparation is the same for your relationship. Studies have shown that couples who do good quality marriage preparation have a lower rate of divorce and better relationship resilience when hard times inevitably come.
Moreover, Catholic marriage (Matrimony) comes with additional obligations. It’s important that you understand these before you commit to them.
SmartLoving has been working with couples for over three decades and we have refined all our insights to bring you a comprehensive course that gives you and your fiance a safe space to ask the important questions and put your love on a solid foundation.
SmartLoving Engaged Online is suitable for all couples preparing for marriage in the Catholic Church. The course caters for couples of all ages, experience and religious backgrounds.
If you are a long-distance couple, frequent travelers, shift worker, or have caring commitments, SmartLoving Engaged is the perfect course for you that is both high-quality, comprehensive and flexible.
We also have many civilly married couples preparing for a Catholic recommitment ceremony and also newlyweds. The material is timeless and even mature married couples find it valuable.
At the end of each Lesson, you will complete an online quiz designed to ensure that you have understood the key concepts. You need at least 80% to advance to the next lesson and quizzes may not be attempted until you have spent a minimum one hour in the lesson. Quiz questions can be previewed in the workbooks.
At the end of the course, you will do an assessment whereby each of you separately complete a series of short answer questions. Your answers are then compiled into a report for your celebrant who may want to discuss some of your answers with you. A certificate is also generated at this time.
To make it easier for you, the questions are provided in the workbook so that you can draft your answers before you submit them. It’s not a test and there are no wrong answers. The purpose of the quizzes and assessment is to help us support you and ensure that you’ve mastered concepts, frameworks and tools.
Yes! Your final documentation includes a certificate and a report compiling your answers to your final assessment.
Not only will your celebrant (or local priest supervisor if marrying overseas) have evidence that you have completed your marriage prep, he will have a chance to clarify anything and offer you and your fiance additional support as needed.
SmartLoving Engaged Online is the latest version of our acclaimed live (face-to-face) curriculum that has been approved for use in dioceses around the world for over 10 years.
If your celebrant has concerns about the quality or efficacy of SmartLoving Engaged Online, you can:
- direct him to the leaders information page where he can apply for free access to review the course.
- provide his contact details to us and we will personally reassure him.
If he still won’t accept your Course Report, we will refund you the cost of the course as part of our quality guarantee.
SmartLoving Engaged Online has a total of nine lessons that take about 1.5 hours each to complete. We recommend that you do one lesson per week so that you have time to practice the tools and complete all the activities. Most participants take around 10-12 weeks.
You can of course, work completely at your own pace and take as little or as much time as you need. However, you can not do the course justice if you aim to complete it in less than three weeks. The material is comprehensive and really requires in between lesson time to use the tools in your daily life so that you experience the benefits.
In addition, course time locks will prevent you from advancing too quickly and a timer will record your total active time spent on the platform. This time is part of your documentation at the end of the course.
So don’t be too hasty!
Couples who rush the course generally report lower satisfaction and rate the benefits of the course lower than those who take their time. We know it’s a busy time for you, so get started early on in your engagement so that you can take the time you need to really get the most from this.
SmartLoving Engaged Online is flexibly designed to provide you with the best possible formation experience.
- Ideally, you will have a Sponsor Couple from your local parish to accompany you through the course, allowing you to interact with a Catholic married couple, discussing the key concepts and personal insights. If your celebrant/parish doesn’t offer this option, you may have a suitable couple in your network who you can ask to be your sponsors. They simply enroll in the ‘Sponsor’ version of the course and do the course in parallel with you. For more information, please send Sponsors here.
- Celebrant/Supervisor or other parish minister may wish to interact with you throughout the course either individually or in groups. The course is fully self-contained so you can begin the first lesson immediately and progress at your own pace.
- Our online support includes our monitored forum where you can interact with our global community and a quick access help form if you need technical assistance.
- For more direct support you can purchase a coaching session with one of our accredited SL Coaches.
In all cases, your Celebrant/Supervisor will be able to review your learning with you at the conclusion of the course. When you get to the last Lesson, you will complete the assessment and your answers will be included with in your certificate for your celebrant to review.
All you need is a computer/tablet/mobile device with high-speed internet access, the printed workbook and a pen.
SmartLoving Engaged Online is a comprehensive course that uses the power of paper and digital media to guide you through interpersonal activities with your fiance.
Your course comes with a digital PDF (84 pages) of the printed handouts with permission to print one each for you and your fiance. It is available to download at Lesson 0: Admin as a complete set. Alternatively, you can order printed copies from the estore.
You can also purchase the Participant Workbook from our online store. At the moment, all Workbooks are shipped from our base in Australia so it may be more cost effective to print your own.
You cannot complete the course adequately without the workbooks.
We recommend that you order printed workbooks from our eStore at the time of registration or print 2 copies of the whole workbook before you start (a PDF download is available in Lesson 0: Admin).
A Sponsor Couple is a married couple who accompanies you throughout your preparation and is available to you in your newlywed years. Every enrollment in SL Engaged includes a gift coupon for you to give to a Sponsor couple so that they can enroll in the Sponsor version of the course free of charge. This course has the same content as the Engaged course but does not provide a certificate and can not be used by engaged couples.
- Sponsor Couples have a few criteria and will usually be referred to you by your celebrant/supervisor from among the parish couples.
- Some celebrants/supervisors will require you to have a Sponsor, and some make it optional.
- If you want to recruit your own Sponsor Couple from among your networks use this criteria:
- Married at least five years, preferably with children.
- In a valid Catholic marriage.
- Regularly attends church.
- Not a close relative or friend.
- You don’t need a Sponsor Couple to complete the course as it is fully self-contained. However a Sponsor couple will greatly improve your experience and provides you with ongoing encouragement.
- If you do the course without a Sponsor the coupon will expire after two months.
Don’t stress! If you haven’t checked in for a while, our built in reminder system will send you a friendly email prompt.
While it may still be months from your wedding, we know from experience that couples who delay their preparation end up having to cram in the last few weeks – the busiest weeks of the engagement period!
We want you to get the best value from the course, so we’ll be sure to send you a reminder if we haven’t seen you for more than a week.
And your registration includes access for two years so you should have plenty of time to complete the course and revisit the lessons for a refresher during your first year of marriage.
If you are having technical issues, contact us immediately using the ‘Got a Question’ Form in the member site or via our live chat and we will resolve it as soon as possible.
If you are having trouble understanding any of the lessons or tools try one of these:
- Check the FAQs or blogs for possible answers.
- Jump onto the forum and post your question there.
- If you have a Sponsor couple, speak to them at your next meeting or give them a call for advice.
- If you require therapeutic help, consult your celebrant for advice on finding a suitable professional.
- If you want personalised coached, purchase a one hour phone coaching session with a SmartLoving relationship coach.
To register, click the button on this page. When you enroll, you will create a username & password which will be your login to your account. You only need to purchase ONE registration per couple as the course should be completed together and you can access the online platform from two devices simultaneously if required. If you wish to purchase print workbooks, you can add them to the cart before you go through the checkout.
No. You only need ONE registration for the both of you. You can access the course from two different devices simultaneously or share access from one device – the choice is yours.
Both formats cover the same content.
- The online course is organised as nine 1.5 hour lessons. You do each lesson at your own pace and on your own schedule, taking as much time as you need for each lesson. If you have a Sponsor Couple, you’ll get the opportunity to review what you are learning and to hear their wisdom and insights in your meetings.
- The live course is organised as six 2 hour sessions with approx 1 hour per session of take home activities. Mentors are trained to facilitate the course, usually from their own home if it is couple to couple. Some parishes run the live version for groups in parish facilities which gives participants the opportunity to meet other engaged couples.
Don’t worry! You can’t fail the course and our goal is to equip you for success in your marriage so we’re committed to seeing you flourish.
- To progress through the course, you will need to get at least 80% in each quiz. The questions are straight forward and can be previewed in your workbooks.
- We want to make sure that you’ve understood the concepts and applied the tools – that’s why the ‘pass’ mark is 80% rather than 50%.
- If you get under 80% our system will direct you to the sections you need to revisit. When you’ve done this, attempt the quiz again. When you get to 80% the next lesson will unlock and you can progress.
Haven’t found the answer you’re looking for?
Testimonials from our Graduates
“Enjoyable, revealing and rewarding, you’ll be encouraged to consider things you may not even be aware you need to think about.”
“Useful, practical, deeply insightful and encouraging.”
“We loved how interactive this course was and how much closer it has brought us together.
“An intense, helpful and extremely well-constructed course for engaged couples wanting to get the most out of their marriage.”
“We’ve come out with a better understanding of who we are individually and where we want to go collectively as a married couple with actual plans. We’ve already implemented a few of the techniques we’ve learnt from the course.”
“We really enjoyed participating in this course at our own pace and having so many valuable resources available to us along the way.”
“The highlight of SmartLoving for us would be the friendly and down to earth personalities of the team, especially Byron and Francine and how they make the course easy to listen to and understand.”
“A useful way to take time out and think beyond the superficial. The practical activities were so enlightening for us.”
“I am full of awe at what lays ahead. One thing that didn’t hit me until a little while ago was the fact that when we are married, I won’t have to do this alone but we’ll have prayer on my side and the power of the sacraments to help us grow in our union. It’s a very encouraging thought.”
“A great course to really open up and build your relationship. Worth every cent to learn how to really love your fiance with many practical tips and helpful insights.”
“We have already recommended the course to our friends. It is really applicable, even for non-religious couples. The skills we learned we will continue to use throughout our marriage.”
“I was apprehensive about doing the course because of negative experiences my friends had had with other courses. It turned out to be everything I DIDN’T expect – extremely practical and useful – definitely worth doing.”
“It has been an eye-opener for us both and we both feel we appreciate the power and importance of marriage.”
“It has been educational and enriching, bringing us closer as a couple and better preparing us for married life. The main highlight for us were the connection rituals.”