Couples are busy and we want to make the training process efficient and flexible. Training is comprised of four components*:
Step 1: Marriage Enrichment
You need to become familiar with the frameworks of SmartLoving and experience the benefits of them by applying them in your marriage. After this, you will know whether you are suited to this ministry and will be invited to take the next step. This step can take the form of participation in either of the following:
- SL Online Sponsor course – this can be completed on your own at home or shared with one or more other trainee couples.
- SL Engaged live group course – just sit in as a participant with an engaged group in your area.
Step 2: SL Engaged Induction
This component will equip you with the techniques specific to delivery of the course and will assist you in your preparation of the presentations. Usually this is completed with self-directed study of the support materials in the Mentor Guide and in the Mentor Support Hub. Private coaching with a SL trainer via video chat is also available.
Step 3: Your First course
The next step is to run the course with the support and coaching of an experienced SL Mentor. Depending on your area and the circumstances this may be one of the following:
- As one couple on a team of couples facilitating a group course where you present one or more sessions.
- As a mentor couple facilitating the whole course with a single engaged couple, usually in your home or via video chat.
- As a Sponsor couple accompanying an engaged couple in the Online course.
Step 4: Ongoing formation
Your marriage needs and deserves regular nurturing and extension. You will also need to maintain your currency in the SL materials as they are regularly updated. Minimum requirements are:
- Presentation of the course at least once a year.
- Reading MRC eJournal (free subscription).
- Participation in at least one marriage formation activity such as a conference/inservice (eg Renaissance of Marriage), couples retreat, online relationship course (eg SL Marriage Kit, SL BreakThrough, SL Theology), academic study (eg Theology of the Body), suitable book.
*Some Dioceses have different training requirements, so it is best to confirm this with your local leaders.