Engaged Online allows you to provide flexible, high-quality marriage preparation from within your own parish.
Designed to be experienced over a period of two to four months, Engaged Online responds to the call of the recent Synods on the Family for marriage preparation to be more like a catechumenate than a once off course that is completed in a day or weekend.
How it Works
1. Meet & Enroll
- The Priest/Deacon meets with the Engaged Couple to complete paperwork, book the church and invites them to enroll in SmartLoving Engaged Online. This brochure can be printed and given to your Engaged couple.
- If you want your couple to be accompanied by a married Sponsor Couple (optional uptake), you can provide one from the parish, or ask the engaged couple to approach a parish couple. Direct potential Sponsor couples to www.smartloving.org/sponsor to find out more. This brochure can be printed and given to potential married Sponsor couples.
2. Course Participation
- The couple completes the course at their own pace, ideally one lesson per week. Each lesson includes tools to practice before the next lesson.
- If they are accompanied by a Sponsor Couple, the two couples meet regularly to discuss the key concepts using the discussion questions in the workbook.
3. Graduation & Follow Up
- Once the last lesson has been completed, the couple does a short answer assessment to obtain their Course Report and Completion Certificate.
- Couples and clergy meet to review the Course Report and discuss what they have learned. SL will send you a Celebrant's Guide to the Course Report to help you review the couple's answers so that you can interact with them at a meaningful level.
- SL sends follow up material to the engaged couple and Sponsor Couples provide ongoing support.
Watch the video for all the details.
Review the Course for Free
It is easy, just fill out the form below, create your account and get instant access to the Sponsor version of the Engaged course which is identical to the Engaged couple version with the exception of the progression and time locks. This means that you can move to any lesson in the course in any order and that you are not required to spend the minimum hour in each lesson before attempting the lesson quizzes.
Another difference is the end of course certificate - you won't get one! If you need a certificate, please enroll in the Engaged Online Course.
Engaged Course Review
Getting started is easy!
We offer three options to make it easier for you to direct your engaged couples to the track you want. Review the options below and then simply instruct your couples to select your preferred track when they enroll.
Ready to Refer Couples?
You can begin referring your engaged couples to SmartLoving today. We have created brochures that you can download and print to give to your engaged couples.
Brochures for your Community
Marriage Ministry in your Parish
Catholic Marriage Preparation in the 21st century is undergoing a radical transformation.
Psychological sciences are developing deeper insights into what makes relationships work and theological advances are equipping Catholics to more clearly and powerfully articulate the role of Matrimony in the mission of the Church.
In addition, new technologies provide flexible and more effective ways for parishes to nurture the gift of Matrimony in all its stages within their community.
With the SmartLoving Sponsor system, parishes can initiate a marriage ministry with minimum effort and powerful impact.
Are you a parish or diocesan coordinator who manages ten or more couples each year?
We provide cost effective packages that allow you retain control of the preparation process and help you fund your ministry. Find out more through the link below.
Book in a Video Consultation
If you would like to speak to a SmartLoving Team member please do not hesitate to book in a time where we can collaborate.
With a comprehensive suite of online courses and leader kits, our partner packages can be customised to complement your existing resources. Many of our online courses can be used independently by the couple or spouse, or facilitated by a local leader in a group experience. With high-quality video production, interactive quizzes, couple activities and practical everyday tools, SmartLoving courses are engaging and effective.
Book an obligation-free video consultation to discuss your custom solution today!
Pastoral Care and Follow Up
1: Online Community
We know how important it is for couples to have access to real people and a parish sponsor couple is the ideal. In addition, all SmartLoving online students can access our chat line, private forum or the Help centre for personalised assistance or advice. Further, we'll soon be launching our webinars where any couple in our platform will be able to ask questions and seek advice of the SmartLoving coaches.
2: Course Follow Up
Every lesson includes links to articles and extension activities in the member hub related to the topic for couples who require further information. Additionally, at the conclusion of the course, couples are invited to indicate if they'd like more information on a particular topic. This triggers our system to send them a series of emails with articles and resources on that topic. Couples retain access to the course and Member Hub for two years and may opt in to regular SmartLoving eNews if they choose.
3: Newlywed Course
SmartLoving Newlywed provides couples with a fortnightly email with a 30 min formation activity based on our 5-10-15 format: 5 mins input, 10 mins private reflection, 15 mins discussion. Designed to begin the week after the honeymoon, this course can be used by individual couples at home or in small groups.
SmartLoving Engaged has been granted ecclesiastical approval
Nihil Obstat: Most Rev. Michael Kennedy, Bishop of Armidale
Imprimatur: +Most Reverend Anthony Fisher OP, Archbishop of Sydney
June 13, 2019 | View the Imprimatur: here
View the documentation of edits made to the existing print materials: here
Want More Detail?
Want something you can print out or use for a presentation to your leadership team? Use the links to access our resource kits that outline the process for starting a marriage catechumenate in your parish.